Monday 16 May 2011

80 Miles - Longest Training Cycle Weekend So far

At the weekend (14th and 15th May) I cycled 50 miles on Saturday followed by 30 miles on Sunday which was really tough given the really strong wind [(not mine :-) ] and the hills.

On Saturday I cycled to Stourport on Severn which is approx. 20 miles as the crow flies from our house through built-up areas to begin with then out into rolling North Worcestershire hills.  I have not visited Stourport before and it was good to explore the town, Severn river and the resident fun fair for a while.   The trip back was very hard as I had not really paid attention to the fact that I would be going over the notorious "Lickey Hills" which is the highest point for miles around.

The course was also longer than the 45 miles I had planned but it was a great achievement and I was thoroughly exhausted when I arrived back.  Plenty of carbohydrates and energy drink!

The Sunday ride was 30 miles.  Although I had planned to do  40 miles there was no "gas in the tank" (especially after the lovely home cooked meal - thanks to Jill and plenty of beers with friends!).   After only 30 minutes on the bike I had consumed an energy bar, gel and a bottle of water! Still I pushed on and managed to get through the immense hunger feeling but I did not want to push it beyond 30 miles.

Legs feel like lead today (Monday) and will be resting for a few days and hoping to do 2 x 40 miles this weekend and will ensure I eat more and earlier on the bike this time.

I have also found a new route planning website www.bikehike.co.uk which has more advanced features and will be using this to find a couple of good  routes.


No comments:

Post a Comment