Thursday 13 October 2011

“Meda ase, Meda ase, Meda ase” (Thank you, Thank you, Thank you)


“Meda ase, Meda ase, Meda ase” 
(Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!)

Many thanks to all my family, friends and colleagues who have so generously donated to the Friends of Tafo - Go Ghana Cycle Challenge 2011!!!! You have all helped to make a real and sustainable difference to the impoverished town of Kwahu-Tafo.

"Meda ase, Meda ase, Meda ase"  was the message from the Chief of Kwahu-Tafo for the generous support to provide clean, drinking water for the people of Kwahu-Tafo in Ghana as we arrived in the town at the end of the Cycle Challenge.  I echo these words to those who have supported me on the challenge, including those friends who helped with my training.

The challenge was exhausting covering over 400 kilometres cycling up hills equivalent to the height of Kilimanjaro!!!!, on mainly dirt tracks, sand and boulders! Even after 4 days at home in the UK I am still tired, but at least my wife Jill says I have stopped smelling like a goat!

I am so proud to have finished the most gruelling test of my fitness and to represent your support and to see first hand the impact of local, clean water.  Particularly knowing that as a group we have raised more than the original target to provide even more wells and bore holes!!!! Fantastic.

It was incredible to have the opportunity to see the first of the new wells with a shiny new hand pump and filter producing clean water.  This was staggering compared to the dirty and diseased river some distance away.

It was so refreshing, to be greeted by smiling, hard working and energetic people in every village and town we passed. This was incredible given the poverty and basic conditions.  In particular, I shall never forget the lady carrying an enormous basket of chillies on her head that I could not even lift off the ground.

This is my last post of my blog to conclude an amazing journey over the past 18 months. I have enjoyed every minute (well almost every minute, except the rain and wind in the UK) of the preparation and challenge.  I have also really enjoyed writing the blog on behalf of FOT and our group whilst in Ghana and would highly recommend it.

I have met great new friends from Ghana, the UK, Sweden and Malaysia and the memories will last forever and I look forward to keeping in touch and continuing my support for the FOT Charity and the people of Kwahu-Tafo.  

My virgin giving site will remain open until the end of October if there any other people who wanted to donate but had thought it was too late.  Every penny will make a great difference.   http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NeilHollins

It has been one of the most amazing and humbling experiences of my life and I echo again the words of the Chief and the shouts of the Kwahu-Tafo people…“Mada ase” Thank you! Neil.



No comments:

Post a Comment