Sunday 18 September 2011

Penultimate Weekend Training

This was the the penultimate weekend training before the Go Ghana Cycle Challenge and after a week working away in London and Reading there was no opportunity to train in the week evenings.   Thankfully I managed to get out for 28 miles on Saturday and with my friend Mil on Sunday for 47 miles, a total of 6 hours in the saddle, despite the wind and rain.

The Sunday cycle was particularly pleasant. It is  much more enjoyable with a training buddy and Mil introduced me to a great cafe next to the canal in Stourport-on-Severn where we stopped for tea / coffee and fruit cake.  Note not chocolate cake!     

Even so, the fruit cake made the climb out of the town much more challenging and we were both regretting it by the time we reached the top.  Still I would recommend the cafe just take the flat road out of town and not the hill.


Many thanks to Mil for helping with my training during the year which has been challenging keeping up with his super slick road bike with me on my heavy mountain bike! but great fun. 

Next week will be the same working away in London but we have booked to stay away for the last weekend so that I can do off road trails (hopefully a minimum of 4 hours each day) and spend time together as a family and with friends.   

Although my fitness has improved I had hoped that we would have had some hot weather over the UK summer to get used to the conditions in Ghana as I'm sure it is going to be hard with 34 degree constant sun!

12 days and counting to the start! 


No comments:

Post a Comment